Parish Information

There have been many changes to Halton-with-Aughton over recent years, including construction of the UK’s largest community hydro-electric scheme, access to the M6 via the Bay Gateway and new housing. The Centre @ Halton and Halton Mill provide a great range of regular events, classes, clubs and entertainment including bands, theatre and dances.

Halton-with-Aughton is a rural parish located 3 miles north east of Lancaster on the north bank of the River Lune and has a population of 2,360. It is partly situated within the boundary of the Forest of Bowland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and includes the popular Crook O’Lune. The main settlement is the village of Halton-on-Lune, commonly just called Halton, with the hamlet of Aughton to the north-east.

Halton

Halton features many 17th and 18th century buildings. Earthworks on Castle Hill show evidence of an 11th century Norman motte & bailey castle present in the village. Deep in the village, in the churchyard of St Wilfrids, stands the Halton Cross, which is believed to have been carved by Norsemen over 1000 years ago. The Coins of Canute, which are now in the British museum, were discovered on Halton Moor in 1815. As well as this, vestiges of a Roman camp and an ancient barrow are near the church, it was at this Roman Camp, where the remains of an ancient Roman Altar were discovered.

Aughton

Aughton is a hamlet approximately 4 miles to the north-east of Halton and lies within the Forest of Bowland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It is famous for holding the Aughton Pudding festival every 21 years, where a gigantic pudding is baked; with the last one held 2013. The tradition started in the 18th century. The 3-ton pudding made in 1992 was entered into the Guinness Book of Records.

Statistics (from census data)

Population
0-17 years: 536
18-64 years: 1,348
65+ years: 654
Total: 2,538